One of the most common questions I am asked is ‘Where is my Microsoft Teams data stored’?
Why is this? In short, Microsoft Teams is not an individual application, it is a productivity hub that utilises many applications and services across Microsoft 365. Therefore Teams stores data across multiple locations.
Why do I need to know where my data is stored?
For several reasons. Knowing where your data stored helps you address the following questions:
- Which geographic location is my Teams data stored?
- How can I govern Teams when I don’t know what is stored where?
- Can I control who has access to my Teams data?
- What information protection can I apply to my Teams data?
- Where do I need to apply retention policies?
- How to ensure my eDiscovery searches are scoped to include the right locations?
Let’s dig deeper into Microsoft Teams and see where your data is being stored.