In episode 14 of the “All Things M365 Compliance” podcast, Ryan John Murphy and Nikki Chapple demonstrate how to create Microsoft Purview Data Loss Prevention (DLP) policies and rules. The episode covers important topics like the structure of DLP policies and rules, why they are a crucial part of the design process, and what outcomes to expect.
Tune in to learn more.
What is Microsoft 365 Data Loss Prevention (DLP) and why you need it
Microsoft Data Loss Prevention (DLP) is a feature that helps organizations protect their sensitive data from unauthorized access, sharing, or leakage. DLP can identify, monitor, and control the flow of data across different locations, such as email, SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, and devices. DLP can also enforce policies and actions based on predefined rules and conditions, such as blocking, encrypting, or notifying users and administrators.
You can apply DLP policies to your Microsoft 365 data, such as email, documents, and chat messages. You can use Microsoft 365 DLP to:
- Identify your sensitive data, such as credit card numbers, health records, or personal information or in addition data labelled
- Monitor and audit how your data is accessed, used, or shared within and outside your organization.
- Enforce actions to protect your data, such as blocking, encrypting, or notifying users or administrators.
The functionality depends on your Microsoft licensing. Check the Microsoft 365 guidance for security & compliance for details on the licences support DLP.
In this podcast, we explain the basics of Microsoft DLP and how it can benefit your organization and demonstrate how to create Microsoft DLP policies.
Recommended Microsoft resources on Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
For more information on setting up Microsoft 365 DLP for your organization, please visit these links:
About All Things M365 Compliance podcast
Check out the latest episodes of the All Things M365 Compliance Podcast. Don’t forget to subscribe!
- All Things M365 Compliance podcast EP14: Data Loss Prevention (DLP) Part 1
- All Things M365 Compliance podcast EP10: Peter Rising | eDiscovery
- All Things M365 Compliance podcast EP11: Ru Campbell | Security & Compliance
- All Things M365 Compliance podcast EP12: Martin Lingstuyl | DLM & RM Coding/PowerShell
- All Things M365 Compliance podcast EP13: App Governance with Viktor Hedburg